Saturday, February 04, 2006
Forever Family Day...2006
FOREVER FAMILY DAY – February 4th, 2006

2 years ago was the last time we walked into baby home number 1 in Novokuznesk Siberia. The day before we were given permission by the Russian Government to officially adopt you and bring you home to the United States with us. At the Orphanage we were quickly ushered into a sterile little room, with a changing table and a mirror. Within Seconds you were brought to us, wrapped in a blanket and with nothing but an old diaper on. Quickly we get out the camera and I give you hugs and kisses… and I stare at amazement at this tiny little baby, my son. It was time for me to dress you for the first time. The nerves got the better of me, and well, the diaper didn’t fit too well when I attempted over and over again to put it on backwards~ Finally after checking you over a million times, and finally getting your diaper on correctly you were dressed in your brand new outfit, (probably the first one you ever owned) and you brand new snow suite. Within minuets, the director and staff at the orphanage were saying good-bye to their little Stepan, and wishing PAUL William a lifetime of happiness with his forever family. The drive home was surreal; the rest of the day from there is a blur. I just remember having this perfect angel in my arms and in my life! Daddy had several busy days when you first came to us. He had to go and get your passport, and travel the rest of the country to do Lord Knows what, and we got to bond and stay in a hotel room… only to be scolded if I dared to open the door and get us some fresh air. I had absolutely no idea what to do from there. Sure I had baby sat a million of times before, but you were my son, my baby, my life… and I did not want to do anything wrong. I tried my hardest to keep to your schedule. To feed you exactly what you were fed, to have you sleep exactly when you were supposed to sleep, play with the similar toys, and keep a similar routine. Well, that quickly went out the door, and instead we did things that were familiar to mommy, and I talked and talked to you, showing you pictures of your family back in the US, we listened and danced to music, we played peek-a-boo and I made silly faces at you. But most of all we enjoyed our time looking out the window…. We had a large window and windowsill in our room. We sat on the sill for hours, and you would look out the window at the children playing below, or men walking to and from work. It seemed to bring you comfort and peace. You sat in my arms so contently just watching the people of Novokuznesk pass us by. I sat holding you so peacefully and contently knowing you were my son. The child I have waited to have for so long.

Since our time in Russia… you have had so many first in your life. Your daddy and I are so very blessed that we have had the opportunity to be there for almost all your firsts. First tooth, first crawl, first sitting up, first step, first time your ran, your first words, all the firsts with food, first time you saw the ocean, first time you ran in the grass, or sand. The first time you touched and smelled a flower, first time you went down a slide, first time you went to the potty (now come on and do it again!!!) There are a million memories that we have created in these short two years.

You have taught me so much as well. You have taught me how a child loves something / someone unconditionally and without judgment. You have taught me that you know exactly when to turn on that smile of yours and charm, and how you can warm anyone’s heart. You have taught me patience. You have taught me to see life through a child’s eye. To see the good in the situations, and realize yes, to have a cookie makes any situation better. You bring me happiness and love. I promise you to always be there for you. I promise to protect and to guide you. I promise you that I will let you be your own person and to grow and explore as you should. I promise to love you unconditionally as you have loved me.


Love you....

Mommy
4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
As I read this...happy tears. Your son is beautiful. We are waiting to meet our son from somewhere in Russia.

Blogger Elle said...
What a wonderful story. I can't wait until you get to tell the story of your forever family day when you become 4.

Blogger Maggie said...
I've never read your blog before and I'm so glad I did today. You brought tears to my eyes. Your love for your son is palpable. Congratulations.

Anonymous Anonymous said...