Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Prenatal Care...
As a person that has had very limited experience with pregnancy and the importance of prenatal care... we have learned first hand what happens with the lack of possible prenatal care. Paul loves brushing his teeth. That is probably one daily ritual he actual participates in. He went to the dentist for his first official cleaning last month and did wonderful. However, during the visit the dentist noticed he had a few cavaties that he wanted us to get checked out. (we went to a family dentist, he sent us to a pediatric dentist). So we had our appointment today. Well, let’s just say he does not have a few cavities. He has SEVERAL. To make it worse they are not little cavity, the ones in the front of the mouth are big. I mean really big. Now, I know you are saying but these are his baby teeth, what is the big deal? Well, apparently it is a huge deal. So the Dr. recommends getting the teeth filled, and the ‘bad’ ones to be capped and oh yea, have nerve treatments. (Paul complains when he eats cold food, saying it hurts) You have to understand something; I have never had a cavity or anything. In the past two years I had my wisdom teeth out, and that was a HUGE ordeal for me. So when it comes to dental concerns, everything is HUGE to me. But, don’t think the Dr. insists we get this done… he did give us options. Let’s see here if I can recap them…
1. Do nothing, and have the teeth he has rot away… hmm that sounds like an excellent idea, NOT! He is not even three! Teeth aren’t to fall out till he is six or seven!

2. Pull his front teeth out… Well, sure he has already lost one tooth, darn toy he fell over. But um, no upper teeth at all? I don’t thinks so. Again, long time with out teeth and that doesn’t account for cavities in the back of the mouth!

3. We could have multiple visits to the dentist and use laughing gas each time and fill the teeth, do capping and have nerve treatments. Dentist did say this is a viable option, since he does wonderfully at the dentist and he loves brushing teeth. But he will remember the occurrences, and the likelihood of him having a HORRIBLE experience is very high. So, with predisposition to poor teeth condition and the fact that he will need to see the dentist regularly I am worried about this option as well.

4. Go to children’s hospital, use a local anesthesia and have all dental concerns (for now) corrected. Not remember the procedures, and move forward from here. BINGO. I think we will take this option.

Thankfully we have dental insurance and the cost of 3 or 4 would be the same in that regard. We just need to make sure our medical insurance will cover the hospital anesthesia etc. Now don’t get me wrong, I hate the fact that Paul has to be “put under’ but I am afraid this is just the beginning of a long history of dental issues, so I don’t want him to have a horrible experience and NEVER return to the dentist.

When the good Dr. was looking in Paul’s mouth, I was explaining to him that we do not know about Paul’s history prior to him being six months old… and his response, was “that explains a lot…” where he couldn’t say definitely No prenatal care = these problems. He said there definitely a good correlation to the two. So, I am trying to get over the fact that I feel like a horrible mom, and realize that we may have absolutely no control over this. I do have to be thankful that if this is the only “problem” we occur because of the lack of prenatal care. We are blessed. Moral of the Story? Take your kids to the dentist and if you are pregnant, take your vitamins and do what pregnant people are suppose to do!

~Until Next Time~
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Looking for information and found it at this great site...
» »